Get Closer To The DNX8 With Travis Amezcua
With the pending arrival of the all-new Team Durango vehicles, we thought it was the perfect time to catch up with long-serving Team Durango racer and newly appointed Field Consultant for North America, Travis Amezcua, so he could give us an exclusive insight into the hotly anticipated Nitro Buggy platform.
Travis has worked closely with the Team Durango development team in the creation of the DNX8, contributing to track testing of early prototype vehicles, as each feature was analysed prior to going for full production.
Travis has a wealth of RC experience, offering his many years of racing prestige to the project, helping our engineers to create vehicles that can make you faster on the pit table, then faster when you hit the track.
Travis took some time out of his very busy schedule to answer a few questions about how the very early stages of the DNX8′s public launch are going, sharing some very interesting personal preferences that should inspire you all.
Travis Amezcua Interview – DNX8 1/8 4WD Nitro Buggy – 2015
- What is the most exciting feature on the new DNX8 Nitro Buggy?
Travis – There are many great features in the DNX8 platform. But the best one I feel is how easy you are able to remove the front and rear Diff from the car. Super-fast access will make tuning and servicing your car hassle-free.
- Explain how you feel the DNX8 can make racers faster, in the pits and on the track?
Travis - First off, the car has many great tuning options built into the kit. The DNX8 has been tested and developed over the past couple of years, allowing us to create a car that is fast to work on and fast around the track. This car will work well for any racer, from beginners to Pros. That is exactly what we wanted, a car that has the potential to make EVERYBODY quicker.
- With US Gas Buggy racing being a grueling test of endurance, explain how the DNX8 will help racers finish faster, and most importantly, always finish?
Travis - The development team spent many hours on making sure this car will stand up to the style of tracks that we race on. With main events being so long these days, we wanted a car that will drive the same from start to finish. Durability and consistency are fundamental to the DNX8′s design. We use tough and durable steel and very strong composite materials on our cars.
Travis working on his DNX8 Nitro Buggy, ready for some track testing
- How fast can you remove the front Diff on your DNX8? Karel Novotny has already posted a fast time. What does the stopwatch say Travis?
Travis - I myself have not yet put a stop watch on it yet. But I’ve been practicing for my battle with Team US Manager Brad Brucker. Stay tuned for the videos very soon.
Learn how the Team Durango quick-access Diff units will make you faster in the pits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHsYCqI8xGs
- Can you describe how the DNX8 Active Front Caster feature will make the car super-consistent?
Travis - Yes this is a great feature that you don’t see on many other cars. It allows you to tune the amount of steering in your car, quickly and easily. This is a win/win set-up change, unlike static caster, you can make a change that gains steering on corner entry AND corner exit (or vice versa). This creates super-consistent steering, resulting in faster cornering.
The DNX8 will provide super-fast build tasks due to our precision pre-assembled parts. You can get into the racing action even quicker
- Patent Pending Sliding Gear Mesh. How cool is that? Explain why you like this feature?
Travis - It’s a very cool idea. Weight balance has a huge effect on the car. On other cars when you change the gearing, you have to move the Motor in or further out. Which will change the side to side balance. With our system the Motor never moves. Only the centre Diff moves, which is less weight than your Motor and Pipe.
Learn more about this innovative Team Durango feature here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COsEyfPjwbA
- What are you most excited to try with regards DNX8 set-up options?
Travis - I really like the amount of pivot widths we can change. We are able to run a different front to rear pivot width with a really simple Insert change. Many other cars cannot make so many precise set-up changes. This will be a great option to help you ‘dial in’ to your chosen track. Really quick to change and super-flexible.
- Servicing a Gas Buggy can be a hard job after some punishing races. What features do you think will help racers get this done more efficiently on the DNX8?
Travis - Yes Nitro Buggies do require a great amount of work. But the DNX8 is a very easy and quick car to work on. Your able to remove the front or rear end very quickly. This allows you to get everything clean. The removable Radio Tray with fixed-point Linkages is also a great design. You can service the DNX8 without losing your Linkage settings.
Travis’ DNX8 Buggy awaiting some new set-up adjustments from the man himself
- If you had the chance to create your own Team Durango Body Shell, what would you call it and why?
Travis - Well I think it would have to come from the look of the body. But a name that is popping into my head is ‘Intruder’ at the moment.
- The DNX8 performance features are specially designed to make every racer faster. Can you explain what benefits drivers can expect to feel straight out of the kit box?
Travis - The DNX8 platform was designed for all types of racers. This kit is a very well balanced and easy to drive car. I feel most drivers will be on pace right out of the box.
Learn about how the DNX8 provides hassle-free set-up options and also makes servicing your car easier than ever before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n31JNKcWOQk
Stay tuned for the release of our exclusive Team Tech Tips Set-Up cards. Print them and learn exactly what it takes to ‘dial in’ your vehicle
- The DNX8 is shipped with a selection of high-quality pre-assembled parts. What advantages will these bring to new owners of the Buggy?
Travis - Yes with the pre-assembled parts new owners will have the cars on the track much faster. After building many different 1/8 scale cars over the years, this by far was the quickest. Less time building more time running.
Ready for action. Sporting his famous Body Shell colour scheme
- Which upcoming race do you feel the DNX8 will allow you to really push the new vehicle hard?
Travis - Silver State in Las Vegas. Not only because the competition should be high, but also this is the host track for the IFMAR Worlds next year.
- Adjustable Rear Toe Inserts. Explain how this will make set-up adjustments quicker for racers under pressure?
Travis - With our Toe Insets you are able to tune the amount of toe-in on the rear of your car. All the different Inserts come in the kit. Where other brands you have to buy different Toe Plates. Which can cost a lot. A great tuning options in the kit. For super-high- bite tracks you will use less rear toe-in. On those loose tracks your able to add more easily. Very easy and fast to adjust.
The DNX8 includes a newly-designed Polycarbonate Cab-Forward Body Shell
- If you needed to tune the DNX8 to find more forward traction on medium-low bite clay, what would be the first tuning feature you would attack and why?
Travis - This really depends on your current setup. But a quick set-up change would be the wheel base of the car. Next I would look at your Diff setup. If your running on a super loose track you should look at going lighter in your Diff oils. Team Durango Diffs are so fast to tune, it should encourage us all to make valuable set-up changes more often.
- Any final thoughts on the new range of Team Durango vehicles that you would like to share with your fans Travis?
Travis - Yes, I look forward to working with all of our customers across the world. Remember each and every one of you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions you may have about set-up and builds on Team Durango products.
Explore the full list of exciting new DNX8 features now: http://www.team-durango.com/race-cars/dnx8/
Get connected with Travis and other Team Durango racers in your region here: https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTeamDurango
Find your local Team Durango dealer here: http://www.team-durango.com/where-to-buy.php